Our 2020 Goal
Broward County, Florida is ready to become one of the healthiest cities in America. By 2020, we plan to move from a baseline of 12.4 Unhealthy Days to 9.9, by improving mental and physical health by 20 percent. We know that health happens locally, which is why we are working with community and physician partners to help solve some of Broward’s toughest barriers to health – like awareness of resources, health & financial literacy, provider/patient cultural competency and food insecurity. Let’s make health easier in Broward, together.
Conditions, barriers and solutions
Get involved in Broward County
Broward County’s Health Advisory Board
A Bold Team For A Bold Goal
Working in partnership with local businesses, nonprofits, educators and government organizations, Humana is committed to the ever-evolving effort of dramatically reducing the number of Unhealthy Days and making Broward County a healthier community. There’s always room for more partners — after all, we’re in this together. Contact email@example.com today.
- Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Broward County
- American Ambulance
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- American Parkinson Disease Association - Broward
- Ann Storck Center
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Broward County
- Broward County Government
- Broward County Public Schools
- Broward Health
- Broward Regional Health Planning Council (BRHPC)
- Broward Sheriff's Office
- Brown & Brown
- City of Lauderdale Lakes
- County Health Rankings and Roadmaps
- Deliver Lean
- Faison Group Benefits, Inc.
- Feeding South Florida
- Florida Department of Health - Broward County
- Florida International University
- Gelin Benefits Group
- Goodman Jewish Family Services of Broward County
- Health Foundation of South Florida
- Health Practice Management
- Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Coalition of Broward County
- Henderson Behavioral Health
- Hispanic Unity of Florida
- Holy Cross Hospital
- HOPE Outreach Center
- Impact Broward
- Keiser University
- Kindred Healthcare, Inc.
- Light of the World Clinic
- Lighthouse of Broward County. Inc
- March of Dimes
- Med-Care Diabetic and Medical Supplies
- Mental Health Association of Southeast Florida
- Nonprofit Executive Alliance of Broward
- Nova Southeastern University
- Novo Nordisk Inc.
- Premier MHS
- Rahul Free Clinic
- Red Tree Health, LLC
- Riverland Medical Center
- RMA Medical Group of Florida
- South Florida Symphony
- United Way of Broward
- Urban League of Broward County
- YMCA of South Florida
PILOTS AND INITIATIVES:
Telepsychiatry helps with access to behavioral health services in Broward County. Embedded telepsychiatry units within Humana-owned clinics facilitate quicker member access to psychiatrists. Members are evaluated and referred by their primary care physician (PCP), who oversees telepsychiatry visits and corresponding treatment.
The Broward County Food Insecurity and Referral pilot addresses the detrimental impact a lack of access to healthy food has on population health. In partnership with Feeding America, Feeding South Florida (a food bank), and Continucare Medical Centers, patients are screened for food insecurity during a Continucare physician office visit and those who screen positive meet with a Feeding South Florida representative in the office and receive an emergency food box. The patient also receives information on federal, state, and local programs to assist with food insecurity. This pilot helps measure the correlation between Healthy Days and food insecurity, health differences between food insecure and food secure patients, as well as the receptivity of patients to clinician food insecurity screenings.
The Third Party Influencer tracks medication adherence and disease management for chronic conditions like Congestive Heart Failure (CHF). In partnership with Humana Pharmacy, we test whether patients who receive reminders from a trusted third party or a combination of third parties are more adherent than patients who do not receive reminders. The third party in this pilot is a RightSource Pharmacist using a combination of voice activation technology and written message reminders.